What is Vascular Endothelial Growth Factors-A (VEGF-A)
The important factor in metastasis is Angiogenesis. Vascular Endothelial Growth Factors (VEGF) is the protein plays an important role in this process. There are many types of VEGF, such as VEGF-A, VEGF-B, VEGF-C และ VEGF-D. VEGF-A is one of the key in angiogenesis. The spread of cancer cells are dividing rapidly. This causes not enough oxygen to the cell area leading to hypoxia which up- regulates VEGF-A. VEGF-A is signaling to VEGFR-2, which stimulates the formation of blood vessels and causes increased cell division.
Picture : Angiogenesis process
Thks for picture from http://www.cancer-interactive.com/articles/42120807/192042_1383121068 )
This will result in the spread of cancer cells. Since VEGF-A affects the spread of cancer cells, so if we can inhibit the activity of VEGF-A, it makes the spread of cancer cells slows down. Nowadays there are many studies for drug inhibition of VEGF-A, and some drugs that have been tested and can be used with patients really like Bevacizumab, Ranibizumab and so on.
Why VEGF-A should be determinated?
Determination of VEGF-A in the blood stream is a simple way to make us know whether cancer cells in the body have spread much. We can check the recurrence of the cancer cells in order to offer medical treatment in a timely manner. The treatment can be monitored effectively.
Who should get the VEGF-A testing?
Persons who had been ill with cancer or who are living with cancer should get the VEGF-A testing. VEGF-A should be tested for the disease, doctors are aware of the conditions at that time and provide treatment on the spot. This will be the benefit of the patients.
- Thks for picture from http://www.cancer-interactive.com/articles/42120807/192042_1383121068
- Dariusz K., Bogdan M., Halina BM., Beata KKl. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-Part1: in physiology and pathophysiology. Polish Journal of Endocrinology. 2011. 62(5):444-455.
- Ellen C. Breen. VEGF in Biological Control. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 2007. 102: 1358-1367.
- Claesson-Welsh L., Welsh M. VEGFA and Tumour angiogenesis., Journal of Internal Medicine. 2013. 273: 114-127.
- Amini A., Moghaddam S.M., Morris D.L., Pourgholami M.H. The Critical Role of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in Tumor Angiogenesis. Current Cancer Drug Targets. 2012. 12:23-43.
- Andreas P., Wolfgang H., Isabel H., Joachim D., Andre T., Michael M. Biomarkers in Tumor Angiogenesis and anti-angiogenic Therapy. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2011. 12:7077-7099.
** Please click download “ Manual collection of specimens for VEGF-A “